Saturday, September 29, 2012

Napoleon. Revolution to Empire



I found the crown of France in the gutter, and I picked it up.

– Napoleon


At last I went to "Napoleon. Revolution to Empire" at the National Gallery of Victoria during the week. I must say I wasn't quite in the mood, but it was then or never so along I trotted.

Once inside, however, the exhibition stood up to the accolades it has been receiving. It was bigger than I thought it would be, with many more objects on display than previous "blockbuster" exhibitions which I generally find beautiful, but the content thinned out.  Not so here.

The layout and flow is good and I was able to move around easily, see the objects and works on display for either a short or longer time as suited me. The audio tour was detailed and did not repeat the information given on the text panels so the viewer got more information and diverse contexts and facts. Often I find an audio tour is a slightly more detailed version of the text panel and isn't really worth it.  It was also very easy to use, didn't jam or die and I could flit around it easily finding what I was looking for. I got tangled up in the wires and straps and would have preferred to download it to my own device which I later realised I could have done, here.


The balance of artworks and objects was wonderful. Porcelain pieces, maps, portraits, furniture, personal items, official documents, statues and armoury are just some of the media on display. This is an exhibition of historic objects and works giving a 3 dimensional comprehensive picture of Napoleon and the context of his times, his personal and professional life and the places he lived, conquered, fought and visited.

The large section on the french exploration of the pacific and the Australian coast all of a sudden gives the french history an immediacy and local connection.  It was the French publication by Charles de Brosses in 1756 that gave rise to European interest in exploring the area and fuelled French policy to explore "terre Australie" focussing on charting the coastline and scientific study.

Of course La Peruse had arrived in Botany Bay on 26th January 1788 only just after Arthur Philip and the First Fleet. He spent six weeks there, sailed on to New Caledonia and disappeared; although his maps had been sent back and survive. The exhibition also touches on the efforts of Bourganville, Dufresney and the famous race between Flinders and Louis de Freycinet in the early 1800's.

The maps of de Freycinet were the first complete maps of Australia published in 1811.  During that voyage french names had been given to much of the coast and the exhibition concentrates on the Victorian coastline, named "Terre Napoleon".  Had things turned out only slightly differently we might be speaking french like the New Caledonians and meet under the clocks at Freycinet Station.

Not leaving this chapter in isolation, the Australian theme is extended through the efforts of Josephine and her expertise and interest in exotic botany and animals. I didn't know that there were kangaroos on her estate and the beautiful botanical sketches are of plants in my back yard. I'm used to looking at Celia Rossers Banksias but not sketches of our native plants from the seventeenth century.

There is a lot to explore in the Napoleon exhibition. I suggest you read the excellent website, download the tour and get yourself to the NGV.  I think I'll be going again, perhaps in the wee small hours next weekend.



Now at the NGV St Kilda Rd
Closes October 7th
Adult: $26 / Concession: $22.50 / Child (5–15 yrs): $10
Family (2 adults + 3 children): $65
NGV Member Adult: $21 / NGV Member Family: $50Ticketmaster or in person at NGV International

No comments: